After waking from my slumber on what seemed to be the perfect Sunday (yesterday), I glanced out of my window to see the sun shining, the birds chirping, and the air smelling (??) of waste.

If you haven't heard, Toronto is in the middle of a garbage strike that has many citizens more than upset. We're down right sick to our stomachs.

As I trod down to the local fruit market to pick up my weekly essentials (consisting of mango, apples, bananas, strawberries, grapefruit, and kiwi), I noticed a trail of garbage bags over 30 feet long. Piled on top of each other, falling onto the road, and blocking the sidewalk, I retched back in disgust as the smell blocked my airwaves filling my nostrils with a pungent odor no person could avoid.

Upon further investigation, it seems the temporary sites for disposing of trash, or at least two of them, had been closed earlier that day, so people have been left to their own devices. IE: let's toss our trash on the street.

The city garbage bins had filled up weeks earlier.
In fact, I took a shot of one the day the strike started.



So late last night, I decided to take my trusty camera and snap some of the photos of other bins I found throughout the city.
I left out the 30 foot disaster of a scene in case you are reading this during your lunch break.




Most of us are sensitive to the needs of all city employees, and to take it a step further, a lot of us are in unions or in support of them.

But besides garbage collection, the strike has impacted:

  • child-care centres
  • libraries located inside community centres
  • golf courses
  • the island ferry
  • recreation centres
  • wedding services
  • city-run sexual health and dental clinics
  • restaurant inspections
  • city-run events in public squares and public park
Now this hasn't become close to a famous strike, at least not for people living outside of Toronto, so I thought I'd enlighten those who want the list of most famous strikes in US history.


Smell ya later.